Auto Insurance Louisville KY Serving Louisville for Over 35 years!
(502) 933-2255 | (800) 468-1215
Auto & Home

The holidays are a time for families to gather together over a good meal. Whether it’s a Thanksgiving feast or a Christmas dinner, consumers are using their home appliances more than ever this time of year. Unfortunately, with the increase use of kitchen stoves, heating appliances and the flammable nature of holiday decor, the risk of fire also rises.

Protecting Your Home From Electrical FiresHome electrical fires are one of the most dangerous and preventable hazards to homes across the country. Unfortunately, they claim the lives of hundreds of Americans, injuring at least 1,500 people every year. Some of these fires are unforeseen and unpreventable hazards caused by electrical system failures and appliance defects. But that is the exception to the rule. Many more electrical fires are caused by the misuse and poor maintenance by homeowners. Consumers often install wiring incorrectly, overload circuits and misuse extension cords.

Each year, home appliance and wiring problems account for 49,000 fires, hundreds of deaths, and $670 million in property losses. Many electrical fires in homes across the country are a result from problems with "fixed wiring". This can include problems such as faulty electrical outlets and old wiring. Problems with extension and appliance cords are also a major cause of home electrical fires, more commonly found in urban areas.

The most common appliance involved in home appliance fires is the electric stove. While these stoves tend to operate fairly safely, careless cooking is more often the cause, not appliance malfunction. Electric stoves lead the way in both residential fire deaths and fire injuries.

In order to keep your family safe this holiday season, take a moment to review a few of the simple safety precautions that can help protect your home from fires:

Check your Appliances: Routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring. Be sure that there are no frayed wires, or worn cords. Frayed wires can cause fires very easily. Replace all worn, old, or damaged appliance cords immediately. In addition to appliances, check your electric tools regularly for signs of wear. If the cords are frayed or cracked, replace them.

Keep Appliances Away from Risk: Pay special attention to appliances near water, in kitchens and bathrooms. Don't allow children to play with or around electrical appliances like space heaters, irons and hair dryers, and always keep flammables such as clothes, curtains and Christmas trees at least three feet from all heaters.

Use Appliances Correctly: If an appliance has a three-prong plug, never force it to fit into a two-prong outlet, use it only in a three-prong outlet or extension cord. Never overload extension cords or wall sockets. When working with small appliances or hand tools, be sure to replace any tool if it causes even small electrical shocks, overheats, shorts out or gives off smoke or sparks.

Take Preventative Measures: Always have working smoke detectors in each room, according to code. Smoke detectors dramatically increase your chances of surviving a fire. Review with family members and children what to do in case of emergency and practice a home escape plan frequently with your family.

By Matt Reynolds - Google+
Posted 4:01 PM

Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012
  • 2011
  • 2010

View Mobile Version
  Connect With Us: Social Social Social Social Social
Site Links

Get A Quote
Our Companies
About Us
Contact Us

Claude Reynolds Insurance Agency, Inc. BBB Business Review

Louisville Auto Insurance Review

Icon Visit Us

Claude Reynolds Insurance Agency Inc.
6801 Dixie Hwy Suite 232
Louisville, KY 40258
Phone: 502-933-2255
Fax: 502-933-5057
Map & Directions
Claude Reynolds Insurance Agency Inc. | 6801 Dixie Hwy Suite 232, Louisville, KY 40258 | 502-933-2255
Powered by Insurance Website Builder | Online Marketing by One Thing Marketing